What is NLP?¶
NLP (Natural Language Processing) is a set of techniques for analyzing and extracting, and understanding meaningful information text.
We have various NLP applications in our lives. For example:
- Text summarization (ex: Summly)
- Question answering (ex: Wolfram Alpha)
- Dialogue systems (ex: Apple Siri)
- Machine translation (ex: Google Translate)
And obviously information retrieval systems such as Web search engines. For a better understanding of NLP techniques, consider referring the so-called “bibles”:
- Jurafsky et al., Speech and Language Processing, 2nd Edition, 2008.
- Manning and Schutze, Foundations of Statistical Natural Language Processing, 1999.
KoNLPy will help you to actually carry out some fundamental NLP tasks with Korean text. In case you’re interested in handling English text, check out NLTK.
What do I need to get started?¶
You have some prerequisites to use KoNLPy.
- Deep interest in natural languages and some familiarity with the Korean language
- Understanding of basic Python programming 
- A “good” text editor and terminal (or Python IDE) 
- A Python installation
- pip, the Python package manager
Got ‘em all? Then let’s go.
|||If you’re new to Python, this tutorial should get you through in minutes: http://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/python/. If you’re up to putting in some more time, try The Hitchhiker’s Guide or Learn Python the hard way.|
|||Many use Sublime Text 2 for Python programming. Some others use Vim and Terminal. But other than these, there are numerous great text editors and Python IDEs out there, so take your pick!|